Monday, March 18, 2013

Grooming the Hairless Dog

My son, Albert (Chinese Crested)
I often joke with my clients about the fact that I'm a professional groomer who owns only hairless dogs...INTENTIONALLY! People mostly believe that hairless dogs require less maintenance than hairy dogs, but truth be told, great care DOES go into caring for the hairless dog from a grooming sense. Hairless dogs are very prone to acne and blackheads, suffer from dry skin because it is exposed to many of nature's harsh elements all day, and need need NEED clothing and sunscreen to protect against the sun's harmful rays. Most commonly, middle-aged to senior hairless dogs will be splotched with liver spots from years of being exposed to the sun. These dogs often require more bathing and moisturizing than most dogs, just as you would take care of a baby's precious skin. I have found some great human products that are safe enough to use on my hairless boys and aid in the daily maintenance of their skin.



Bathing Frequency


I recommend you bathe the hairless dog every night or every few nights. I ONLY recommend such frequent bathing for these breeds, followed with a creme rinse conditioner and ALWAYS moisturize after bath! Remember, dogs only sweat through the pads of their feet, and therefore can suffer from extremely dry skin as their natural oils are stripped away, often, by too frequent bathing.  I have found that one of the ways around this is to condition, condition, condition! We need to put that moisture BACK into the skin after cleansing! Frequent baths for the hairless dog aids in keeping pores cleansed and free of blemishes while the moisturizers protect skin from the harsh elements it is exposed to on any given day (i.e. sun, dirt, wind..etc).

Great Cleansers


I love to use baby wash or just about any organic oatmeal-based shampoo for dogs. The great thing about baby wash is that it's tear free and hypoallergenic, so it's gentle enough for these dogs! Mane and Tail is a shampoo/conditioner formulated for horses, cats and dogs, and I usually have it readily available in my shower for my own use! (It really DOES help your hair grow faster!!) My Albert always feels so smooth and soft after using Mane and Tail.

My Xolo Dog, Buddy, is more prone to dry skin and blackheads, so once per week, we do an exfoliating treatment using St. Ive's Apricot Scrub formula.  What a special treat for him! He loves having it rubbed all over his body during his bath!


Awesome Conditioners


ALWAYS use a creme rinse, even if it makes no sense that the dog has no hair! I leave this on as a conditioning mask treatment for a few minutes before rinsing it off. I've already mentioned the Main and Tail conditioner, but I have many favorites! Among them are: Earthbath Creme Rinse, Organic Oscar Conditioner, and even Pantene conditioner!
 

Amazing Moisturizers


This is my favorite part...I mean...who doesn't love moisturizers? This is also the happiest time of my dogs' baths because they get to be rubbed and slathered by mommy, which feels soooo good! I prefer to use Burt's Bees Baby Bee lotion directly after bath time, but on days where my guys are extra dry, we opt for an oil treatment such as raw coconut oil or jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is known to deep cleanse while moisturizing skin, aiding in the healing and prevention of acne and blackheads. I use it every day on my own face as a moisturizer! No need for expensive anti-aging creams here. This stuff is a best-kept secret!! A small bottle cost $6.99 at Trader Joe's. For a deeper moisturzing treatment, my favorite thing to use on my boys is coconut oil! My guys tend to be lickers...constantly licking their exposed skin after bath time/moisturization, so this is one product that I don't have to worry about them digesting. Coconut Oil is used in food, and in fact, IS a food product that needs no refrigeration, and melts easily into the skin, absorbing surprisingly well! It doesn't leave a very greasy residue at all. (I even give my guys an extra special little treat by letting them lick some off of my fingers - it actually makes for a great supplement for skin and coat on dogs! My veterinarian even recommends it!

 

 So take care of those hairless babies! It's such a pleasure to feel their soft, smooth skin when kept in the right condition. Guaranteed...all of the extra attention will surely make them love you even more!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the great resources! We bathed our new little American Hairless Terrier rescue, Bella, yesterday and slathered her with coconut oil that I had melted on the stove and cooled before applying. She was very pleased and licked our fingers a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,

    Congratulations on your new addition! Way to go with rescue! People often forget that even rare and special breeds CAN be found via adoption. I'm glad to hear that the coconut oil treatment was so well received by your furless one! FYI...you don't even need to heat it up (though that would probably be ideal for superior absorption), the heat of your fingers and your dog's skin will melt it very quickly, so long as you're using the 100 percent organic virgin oil. Best of luck to you and your family, and thanks for stopping by!

    ~ Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! We just got a Thai Silk Ridgeback and her poor skin looks quite irritated. (We live in Thailand, and she was in an open-air kennel) She's a beautiful blue and is not technically 'hairless' but very nearly so. I'm wondering if a combo of tea tree oil on her irritated spots mixed with some coconut oil would be ok to use... maybe even paired w/ a bit of citronella oil as a mosquito deterrent.
    I also use oil as a facial cleanser - olive oil, coconut oil & caster oil for my combo skin, and it works really well! Tea tree on irritated spots. Anyway, I didn't know if something like that would be ok for her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Itchy skin or other similar problems are quite common in the animal kingdom. Just like humans, pets can suffer from irritations that make them have a bad time. If you notice that your four-legged friend scratches a lot and there are no signs of bug bites or flea infestation, it may have rashes or dry skin. See more http://dogsaholic.com/care/oatmeal-baths-for-dogs.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure they figurate in your kitchen as well, ear mites in dogs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I thought coconut oils would be ok and you confirmed it. I have 2 hairless chihuahuas, not intentional and no medical reason for it, they just are and I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great info and links. I have a middle aged Chinese Crested almost all hairless but the vet sold me some medicated shampoo that I believe dried her skin even more. So now I'm using the coconut shampoo with lots of oil, coconut of course to rub her down. My question is, do you think that the Aveeno baby lotion would be helpfully since it's hypoallergenic as well. They also have one with lavender/vanilla comfort lotion. Would either of those be good to use for my Lola?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am adopting a middle aged American Hairless Terrier come Monday, this info was really helpful. It's comforting to know that I have all this stuff in possession already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are fostering a middle aged hairless dog (Chinese Crested and Peruvian Inca mix) that is covered in large patches of blackheads. Will the apricot scrub handle that? Or is there something else you would recommend for such an extreme clean-up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Jennifer and I recently rescued a hairless Chihuahua. Her nails were curled under, she was all bones and smelled of urine so bad!

    She's doing really well now but I've noticed her skin is getting darker...she looks dirty and I try to bath her often. Should I use a cleanser that had beads in it? I want to do everything right but I'm afraid I'm missing something.

    She's also had these black spots, rather largish on her back since I got her and I can't tell if they're just natural or not 😞

    Please help me figure out what my little Pearl may be missing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure her skin getting darker isn't due to sun exposure? Just like humans, dogs can tan too! Our American Hairless/Chinese Crested mix gets a little darker in the warmer months when he spends more time outside, even with using sunscreen.

      Delete
  11. If any living being has pores, they sweat through them. You should know that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad that I saw this post. It is informative blog for us and we need this type of blog thanks for share this blog, Keep posting such instructional blogs and I am looking forward for your future posts.
    āļāļĢāļ°āļŠัāļšāļĢูāļ‚ุāļĄāļ‚āļ™

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for give me information on this topic. Dog grooming west palm beach you have sharing very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just adopted a Mexican hairless his skin is a mess. I got great tips and some have helped but he still have really back pimples on neck and back mostly what can I do to help get rid of the pimples.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I have discovered that my hairy hairless, Nico, is allergic to chicken anything and he's fighting pearly cysts as well as black heads. I'm using an oil based kit formulated by a holistic vet, but he's not progressing very much. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I'm kinda stumped.

    ReplyDelete